Elijah's 3rd Birthday!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Rachel's 4th Birthday

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Jeremiah's 6th Birthday!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Our 8th Anniversary!!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Preterm Labor/Baby #3 Update

Today I went for another ultrasound to check my cervix length. Last week it was measuring 2.8 without compression and with compression it was measuring 2.5cm. Today it was measuring 2.2cm without compression and with compression 2.1cm.

I have officially been put on bed rest. I am allowed to get up to eat, go to the bathroom, and take a shower. I am also allowed to get up for an additional 30 minutes. Other than that I have to stay laying down. I have also been prescribed Procardia to help stop the uterine contractions. I am continuing the Progesterone shots. I had my second one today. Paul gave it to me. He did an amazing job! I was very impressed (Thank you Paul! You are my hero!!!).

I am going to see a Perientologist (high-risk pregnancy specialist) Monday to have an ultrasound to check my cervix length. Based on the results of that ultrasound it will determine what our next course of action is to be. If my cervix length gets below 2cm than they are going to look into doing a cervical cerclage (stitch to close the cervix). If they do that I may need to spend a night in the hospital for observation. I would be on bed rest for about a week then I would be able to get up and be on light duty (no picking up JP who weighs over 30lbs). But I would not be on the bed rest that I am on now. They use spinal, or epidural anesthesia for pain control during the procedure. A doctor will stitch a band of strong thread around the cervix, and the thread will be tightened to hold the cervix firmly closed. Generally the thread is removed at the 37th week of pregnancy. The procedure is successful in 85% to 90% of cases.

Some of the risks include:

  • Premature contractions
  • Cervical dystocia (inability of the cervix to dilate normally in the course of labor)
  • Rupture of membranes
  • Cervical infection
  • Cervical laceration if labor happens before the cerclage is removed
We are having family come Thursday for JP's birthday and they will be staying until the following Wednesday when Bea will come and stay with me for a few days. After a few days my dad's wife, Debbie will stay almost two weeks and Bea will go home. After that we have not scheduled anyone yet. We will assess the situation next week and see if Bea will need to come back out.

Please continue to pray for us!!!

1 special thoughts:

Neabear said...

You are on our prayer list at church. We will keep praying for a successful and healthy pregnancy and birth with no complications. Keep us updated. I am glad you have various family coming to help.